Thursday, April 23, 2009

Color me Content

There is something about coloring that I find so relaxing and therapeutic. I love to sit and color with my children. I enjoy watching their (not so little anymore) hands, praising their efforts, and watching them as their brows furrow in concentration.

I enjoy a good coloring page myself. I think it's the tactile motions of outlining the figures using pressure, taking care to fill in ever so slightly and adding just the right shading. I like the satisfaction of completing a page, down to the last detail -- each corner, every edge.

Most of all, I like the simplicity of it. Sitting in the sun and quiet, with nothing but the swishing sound of the crayons across the paper; we carefully and thoughtfully work side by side. And when we are finished we congratulate each other on our accomplishment and happily go on to the next page.

If only we lived every moment of the day as we color -- simply, thoughtfully, and content.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I'm with ya! I can always use a bit of Crayola in my life.