The other night at the supper table, Cooper said he didn't want his mac and cheese. We asked him why he didn't like mac and cheese. We told him he used to like mac and cheese and he replied, "That was when I was two. I'm four now and I changed my mind." Don't you love supper conversations like that?
I know I'm dating myself here, but when I was a little girl there were three meals a day: breakfast, dinner or lunch, and supper. We ate breakfast, dinner and supper at the table or at the bar (not Cheers, folks). We went out to eat (or in-out to eat as my little brother used to say) maybe a couple of nights a month and did not frequent fast food establishments.
If I tell the kids at the preschool that it's time to eat dinner, they look at me like I'm crazy. And forget supper. I don't, by the way, refer to their lunch as dinner anymore. I get enough dirty looks throughout the day.
Not only is supper a lost word, the act of sitting down to supper with your family is mostly lost. Most families are swinging by McDonald's in between gymnastics and t-ball. By the time I was in high school and my brother in junior high our family succumbed to the rat race of running to and from activities and we only ate supper, dinner, whatever together on Sundays. But at least we had that! It just seems that young families are starting the craziness so early now.
And don't get me started on television. If we're not swinging by to grab some fast food, we're shoveling food into our mouths while zoning out in front of the tv. What on earth did people do before television...have a conversation? What's that?
My family had supper together, in our home, at our table four nights this week. I'm really proud of us! Thank you, Scott, for helping me. Thank you for not falling out when you walked through the door tonight. (I had called him earlier today and told him I was hungry for Mexican food and he was expecting to take me to Miguelito's) Instead, I opted for a nice, quiet dinner of soft tacos and American processed cheese dip at Casa de Stephens. Thank you, Abby and Cooper, for taking turns saying the blessing. Thank you, Abby, for helping clear the table. I love you all so much. Let's keep it up! I don't want us to lose our supper...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amen sister.
Post a Comment