My favorite thing about vacation is eating! I love to eat, and I'm not ashamed. Our first "vacation food" was in Huntsville, Texas, at New Zion Missionary Baptist Church. These folks offered some pretty tasty ribs and sausage. The sauce was great, with a nice bite of vinegar and some sweetness. But the sweet tea...oh mama! This was probably the best sweet tea I've ever had. Scott said it's called an "Arnold Palmer" because it's his favorite drink. It's basically tea and lemonade combined. Now, I don't normally care for lemon in my tea, especially if it's sweetened. This was not your normal sweet tea with a wedge of lemon, though. I really think my good friend, Shelly, would agree. And she's the most authoritative sweet tea connoisseur that I know.
On down the road in Freeport, my family really knows their catfish, slaw, and mashed taters. I asked Scott for some descriptive words for this meal, and he simply said, "Yum." 'Nuff said.
We are now in our hotel room in Breaux Bridge, LA. We visited with Scott's cousin, Zane, who is on leave from Iraq. Scott walked over to the Landry's next door and got us some gumbo. This is the only gumbo that stacks up to my Dad's. It's seriously good stuff. The roux is perfection -- not hardly a hint of file', which can ruin a good gumbo if too much is added. The kids are eating cheese pizza. No comment. Actually, Abby ate a shrimp out of my gumbo. The girl loves shrimp, so there's hope for her yet.
Next stop -- Mobile, Alabama. More later...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment