Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Uno" more time

I wish I had a photographic memory; or, in the least, could remember where I put my keys five minutes ago. It has come to my attention recently that I am in great need of a new multivitamin or some sort of ginkoba supplement or the like.

The game of choice in our house the last few days has been "Uno." Now, I'm sure most of you remember the rules of this fun game, so what I am about to say will prove my dilemma. I played with Abby yesterday, and when we got to "uno" I called the game. That's it. No more. I win...LOL Scott was playing with her last night and she got down to one card, and I walk up and say, "Oh, you won." And so begins my humiliation. How could I forget how to play Uno? Just because you have one card doesn't mean it's over! For pity's sake, you still have to do something with the stinkin' card!!!

Scott is so used to this sort of frustration, though. He's been trying to teach me the inter workings of Texas Hold 'em for years. He's even gone so far as to have me read portions of one of his books, but to no avail. I mean, I get the main gist of poker. I know the suits. I know the blinds. It's just that I learn through repetition. And, since I don't play poker consistently, I lose the ability to understand it. Scott is totally the opposite. He remembers geometry facts and calculations from high school. His brain capacity is just limitless. Mine is a little cramped. So, I have a choice -- either I will just have to keep playing at a mediocre level, or resign myself to gambler's anonymous...

But getting back to Uno -- it has been, in my defense, a little while since I have played that game. Scott has been the Uno aficionado of the house. You see what happens when I butt in and try to take an active role in the rearing of our little card players. Maybe I should stick to finger painting and theatrical productions.

Abby just came in to say hello and that she and Cooper are starting an Uno game. I better go -- I could learn something from those two. There's hope for them yet! Next post - Gin Rummy.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I know what you mean! The game at our house this summer has been skip-bo. And everytime, i re-read the instructions! Oh, well, in the old folks home, we would be perfect roommates!

Anonymous said...

I'm always up for another lecture on the finer points of Hold 'Em. I've always felt I was a better coach than player! Sounds like we may need to call Shelly for help with Skip Bo. I still can't remember how to play that game.

Mandy said...

I know! Me too! Remember when we used to play that all the time when we were first married, because we were so in love and had no time to party at North Gate? Oh no, that's because we weren't cool...Oh wait, no. You were too busy delivering pizza at DD's and I was workin' the registers at Toys R Us. Good times.