Thirteen years ago today I married my best friend. In fact, that's what our wedding announcements read: "Today I will marry my best friend. The one I laugh with, dream with, live for, love." That's live for , not live with...my Dad wouldn't have gone for that! I was fresh out of high school and Scott was a sophomore at A&M.
It all started in the Ore City High School band. Well, actually it all started in a van on the way to the state band contest in Austin, Texas. What brought us together? A game of slug bug and a game we invented because I couldn't seem to catch any Volkswagens -- "Cadillac Wack." Yes, we are a simple folk, we Ore City-ites. Anyway, I left the trip early with my family to go on vacation in Corpus Christi, and Scott was left to ride home on the band bus without his slug bug partner. He would later say that he was devastated. (No, not really. I think his words are "very disappointed.")
Fast forward to a September Friday night in a grey GMC step-side after a football game. (Get your mind out of the gutter. There's no steamy windows involved here.) I needed a ride home from the football game. It was a late out-of-towner and my parents had already made it home, or just hadn't gone -- I don't remember. I do remember this crazy song that came on the classic rock station we were listening to -- "Black Betty." We sat in that GMC and talked for a very, very long time. We talked so long that my mom pulled the old "flash the porch light" on us. I remember feeling like we had always been friends. I mean, it was a small school. I knew Scott. Heck, we'd even been physical (slug bug). There was just an ease of conversation with him. There was a comfort level, and yet my heart fluttered and my stomach was quite jumpy.
I still feel that way. In fact, I am more in love with him today than I ever have been. That sounds cliche', but it's true.
There's more to our story -- more funny anecdotes, tears, excitement, kids (the two best parts of us). But if I continue typing, I won't be able to enjoy beating Scott's butt in Gin before he goes to sleep...or anything else that us married folk do.
Scott, thank you for thirteen (15 total) amazing years. You ARE my best friend --the one I laugh with, dream with, live for, love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It has definitely been a great 13 years! I love reminiscing (sp.?) about those "old" days. Thanks for forgetting to mention the time I broke up with you and had to come groveling back after I had come to my senses!
I was very disappointed when you weren't sitting by me for the 6 hour trip home from Austin. I was "devastated" when you were at the 4th of July square dance a month later with another guy! I thought my chance was over. Good thing I was persistent!
By the way, the windows were steamy in my truck after that first night! I remember I didn't want to wash off the fingerprint flowers you'd drawn on the inside of my passenger window. However, to any friends reading this, it was cold outside and we did talk for hours...condensation happened!
Here's to another 70 or 80 years. "I Love the Way You Love Me". See you tonight Poothead!
T-Bone
AHHHHH! I am so dying right now! I had the "flash the porch light" thing too! Our parents must have gone to the same "parent school". This was great to read and so was scott's comment. Love it! Congrats!
Although I would love to hear more about the breaking up and groveling. In our 16 years, there was some of that too. Let's have you guys over for dinner soon so I can get the WHOLE story!
This was great!
You two are great people. May God continue to bless your marriage and family.
This is beautiful! OK, I'm a couple of weeks behind, but I just happened to come across your blog and am using it to catch up with you. It's not quite as good as seeing you in person, but somehow, it does still make me feel a little closer to you!
Tish!! I don't know why I was reading this again, but I'm glad that I did. I just saw your comment! Good to hear from you. :) Miss you!
Post a Comment